Friday, July 1, 2011

Page 3 play schools!

When Neel was 18 months old, we applied to a popular South Delhi pre school for admission to a 'mother-child' programme and got rejected. Why? Because apparently we didn't know the right people who would pull the right strings of the right people in this so called right school.

It's been a few months since this happened and although things have worked out for the better, now that Neel is going to start preschool in a far better school by my estimation, I still think back in anger to those days of feeling completely dejected. How on earth can an 18 month old be rejected from anything? How can a baby not fulfill any criteria for a play school or play group. Obviously, it had more to do with us as parents. We just didn't know the right people. Never before had I been exposed to such ridiculousness that is our education system in India. We had been naive. We just didn't think that an 18 month old could become a victim to such a corrupt system so early on in life.

I have since written a letter to the chairman of this school, which my husband won't let me send. I've decided to post it here because I have to vent my anger somehow:

Dear Mr. Chairman,

My 18 month old son's admission application to your pre school was recently rejected. I find it hard to believe how an 18 month old can have any short comings on the basis of which he gets rejected to the first institution he has ever applied to in his life. Yes, I have heard from your
school staff that a fair lucky draw takes place and that the admission procedure is completely transparent. I wasn't invited to any lucky draw event and nor was I witness to any, so I apologise if I don't take your word for it. If the entire procedure is transparent, make it visible and I'm sure us parents would be more than happy to participate.

I live barely 5 minutes away from your preschool and am aware that a couple of children in my neighbourhood have started attending the new session in your school. I have been told that their parents pulled the 'right strings' with the faculty of your school. I obviously was under
the impression that a popular and highly sought after school such as yours would not resort to such 'discriminatory' practices when it came to providing the first step towards a formal education for thousands of innocent young minds. These are just small babies Mr. Chairman. How can a school discriminate one from the other on the basis of what car their parents drive or who they party with on a Friday night?

I was advised by many people to literally stand outside your school everyday and beg for admission for my baby. I do know of many who have done this and they still were rejected. My principles and my self respect would never allow me to grovel for something which is my child's fundamental right. I have been educated in one of the finest boarding schools in India and I sat an admission test at the age of 6 to secure my admission there. I cannot remember seeing my parents bow to such disgracefulness as what is seen in schools such as yours.

Things have however worked out for the better. My child will be starting school in a much better and far more child-centric school. I know that your school's popularity is short lived. No institution built on dishonesty can survive.

Best regards,

No comments:

Post a Comment